'aca' or 'ACA' could be any number of a cappella related things (or things outside the community as well.) Within the community:
Hope this answers your question, aca-nonymous!
1. Home Free, TEN, and Vocal Rush - Man in the Mirror (OPB: Michael Jackson)
2. Jewel & Nick Lachey - It Had to Be You (Ft AcoUstiKats & Element) (OPB: Traditional Standard)
3. Shawn Stockman - Joyful, Joyful (Ft. TEN) (OPB: Traditional Hymn)
4. Pentatonix - I Need Your Love (OPB: Calvin Harris & Ellie Goulding)
5. Home Free - I Want Crazy (OPB: Hunter Hayes)
6. 98° - I’ll Be Home For Christmas (OPB: Traditional Christmas)
7. Ben Folds - Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth (Ft Vocal Rush) (OPB: Bing Crosby & David Bowie)
8. TEN - Love on Top (OPB: Beyoncé)
9. Jewel - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (Ft Home Free) (OPB: Traditional Christmas)
10. Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo - We Belong (Ft The Sing-Off Contestants) (OPB: Pat Benatar)
11. Vocal Rush - Roar (OPB: Katy Perry)
Pre-Order these performances here
And watch The Sing-Off, Season 4 finale on December 23rd at 8 PM EST on NBC
1. All Groups - (I’ve Had) The Time of My Life (OPB: Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes) (From “Dirty Dancing”)
2. Home Free - Oh, Pretty Woman (OPB: Roy Orbison) (From “Pretty Woman)
3. Vocal Rush - Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now) (OPB: Phil Collins) (From “Against All Odds”)
4. AcoUstiKats - Old Time Rock N’ Roll (OPB: Bob Seger) (From “Risky Business”)
5. The Filharmonic - I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing (OPB: Aerosmith) (From “Armageddon”)
6. VoicePlay - Don’t You (Forget About Me) (OPB: Simple Minds) (From “The Breakfast Club)
7. TEN - Skyfall (OPB: Adele) (From “Skyfall”)
Gonna be a good night! Purchase the performances here
And tune in tonight at 8 PM EST on NBC
So THAT’s why the ‘Kats were pantless in the preview
Over the last few years, I have been honored to do graphic design work for Corey Slutsky and Voices Only A Cappella. Together, we have seen two editions of the Voices Only collegiate complilation, the first two editions of the Voices Only Forte non-scholastic compilation, Corey’s debut Solo EP “Lucky Oysters,” and the successful charity recording “Voices That Care” benefiting the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund. I have also worked with him on website graphics and promotional materials for representing VO at CASA festivals.
And if you’ll indulge me, there is nothing quite like seeing my album artwork pop up on iTunes and Spotify.
But now, as I am moving on and re-prioritizing many things in my changing life, it is time for me to step down and give another of the A Cappella Community’s many hobby and semi-pro graphic designers the opportunity to work with one of our community’s best independent voices.
If you, or someone you know, is ready to jump into this great opportunity, please contact Corey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE FILHARMONIC. MALE FILIPINO GROUP. LMFAO.
This is essentially all Broadway World (really NBC press releases or whatever) wanted to say about them too. They’re from LA, they sing 90’s R&B with a twist of Filipino culture. I gave y’all a link to their Facebook to whet your appetite in the meantime while I work on more in-depth group profiles in the coming weeks.
After seeing this list on Broadway World (and nowhere else), I switched over to my Sing-Off Twitter War Room to check for confirmations and buzz. Seemed legit, so I got started. Then, while I was doing this quick write-up, there has been additional coverage and I have seen official announcements on most of these group’s webpages and faceplaces, so I think we can say this is confirmed.
ACOUSTIKATS (Lexington, KY): Men’s group from University of Kentucky
CALLE SOL (Aguadilla, Puerto Rico): A group of pro vocalists from Puerto Rico, assembled to audition for The Sing Off, i’d wager.
ELEMENT (New York City): An all-woman adult group from NYC
THE FILHARMONIC (Los Angeles): Male Filipino group
HOME FREE (Minneapolis): a fairly well-known A Cappella Country group, though I hadn’t yet had a chance to get to know them.
THE PRINCETON FOOTNOTES (Princeton, N.J.): Men’s group from Princeton University
STREET CORNER RENAISSANCE (Los Angeles): All-Male group specializing in doo-wop style
TEN (Dallas): A pro singer mashup hailing from Dallas
VOCAL RUSH (Oakland, CA): High School Group from Oakland Center for the Arts, repeat ICHSA winners, also known as the “video leaked” group.
VOICEPLAY (Orlando, FL): A mixed adult group with a similar formation backstory to PTX - started as three high school friends, expanded to six.
Once again, we can see the familiar casting instructions brought to life. Come to think of it, I don’t see many “prepare for The Sing-Off” articles/workshops approach is that there’s more to getting on the show than being good performers - you also have to fit a certain casting block and have a good human interest hook.
That said, this approach does give a great advantage to groups we might otherwise never hear of in addition to its core purpose of cultivating the needed audience desired by the producers and promised to the advertisers.
Congrats to all the competing groups, see you on 12/9!